MEASURING EQUIPMENT USED FOR THE STUDY OF COMFORT IN CARRIAGES. DOCUMENTARY REPORT
For the conveyance of passengers, various demands have to be met with respect to the movements of the coach body, the noise, heating, ventilation and lighting. As regards the movements, the assessment of the magnitudes measured in connection with comfort is closely connected with the frequency of this movement. Several research workers have established directives for the assessment of simple (or compound) vibrations by human beings. As regards the various frequency ranges of the movements, the maximum accelerations for low frequencies (up to 5 or 7 cps), for high frequencies (40 cps) the maximum displacements and for medium frequencies the maximum speeds are to be considered as determinative. When investigating the question of the noise intensity in coaches, a minimum intensity should be striven after, during which however also the physiological assessment by the human ear of the noise at various frequencies should be taken into account. Special attention should be paid to the range of sound vibrations situated between 1000 and 3000 cps as the human ear is the most sensitive to frequencies within this range. An analysis of the sound in the various frequency ranges is required for this purpose, so that also the instruments used for the assessment of the noise should fulfil special requirements. As regards heating and ventilation, it has become apparent that there exists a close relationship between the most comfortable temperature and the relative air humidity. The data supplied by the temperature registration instruments should be considered in combination with those of the measurement of the relative air humidity and the air circulation. As regards lighting, the requirements must mainly be made for those intensities exceeding a certain level (measurement by means of a luxmeter).
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1961-7
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Heating; Instrumentation; Lighting; Measuring instruments; Noise; Passenger cars; Passenger comfort; Physiological aspects; Tests; Tolerance (Psychology); Ventilation systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Noise tolerance; Physiological factors; Question b28
- Subject Areas: Environment; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053125
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B28/RE 1/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM