LIGHT DUTY AUTOMOTIVE FUEL ECONOMY . . . . TRENDS THROUGH 1979
The pre-1975 EPA fuel economy data base has been expanded to over 6600 cars, and these data on older cars have been adjusted for odometer mileage effects on fuel economy. The data base for model year 1975-1977 certification cars is also updated, reflecting actual sales figures. The resulting trend analyses are thus consistent from year to year with regard to the representation of actual sales weighted new-car fleet fuel economy. Data on the 1979 fleet are compared with those of the 1978 fleet, on the basis of projected sales for those two years. Comparisons with pre-emission control MPG, which serve as measures of technological change accompanying increasingly stringent emission standards, are accordingly revised from previous publications. Passenger car size classes and interior volumes are treated in the trend sense, and also in a study of interactions between vehicle technology, fleet physical attributes, and post-1979 fuel economy standards.
- Presented at the SAE Meeting February 26-March 2, 1979.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Murrell, J D
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 32 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers
- TRT Terms: Air quality management; Automobiles; Fuel conservation; Fuel consumption; Standards; Trend (Statistics)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Mileage
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00310602
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 790225
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1980 12:00AM