CONSTRUCTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR IMPROVING THE RIDING STABILITY AND THE GUIDING QUALITY OF ELECTRIC AND DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE AND VEHICLES. RIDING STABILITY-TEST AND EVALUATION TECHNIQUES, PART 1: REPORT, PART 2: APPENDICES AND FIGURES
Quantities which are typical of the riding of a vehicle regarding its performance and safety aspects are discussed, methods of measuring them are described and procedures enabling a reliable and comprehensive evaluation of the results measured are indicated. The random character of the processes permits representative characteristic values to be obtained only by means of a statistical analysis of values measured on a test track of adequate length. These values enable vehicles of different design and construction and also various designs of parts of the same vehicle to be compared. Methods which permit a statistical analysis based on different points of view are referred to, and in this connexion the method of range mean counting is considered to offer an efficient procedure for analysing the problems of the riding stability. An analogue representation of the quantities measured should not, however, be dispensed with since a statistical analysis does not generally provide any information on the sequence of the values measured with respect to time. In addition, terms of importance to questions of the riding stability are simplified and systematically arranged, and reference systems of co- ordinates which are of general validity established.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1969-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Locomotives; Ride quality; Steering; Tests; Trucks; Vehicle design; Vehicle performance
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design; Question b10
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053115
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B10/RP 12/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 11 1976 12:00AM