CONSTRUCTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR IMPROVING THE RIDING STABILITY AND THE GUIDING QUALITY OF ELECTRIC AND DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES AND VEHICLES COMPARISON OF TWO MEASURING METHODS (MEASURING RAIL OF THE CFF AND MEASURING WHEEL-SET OF THE SJ) FOR DETERMINING THE FORCES EXERTED BY THE WHEELS OF A VEHICLE ON THE RAILS
The accomplishment of the task entrusted to the B 10 Specialists Committee requires a knowledge of the forces exerted tranverse to the direction of travel on the track - so called Y-forces - by various types of locomotives. The Administrations employ for their own investigations different measuring methods in order to determine these Y- forces but it has been found that they record different values. For the purpose of arriving at a uniform assessment of the running qualities of various types of locomotives it is necessary to known the reason for the differences resulting from the employment of the different measuring methods for the measurement of the Y-forces. This report contains the description of the comparative tests made for the purpose of measuring the Y-forces according to the Schlumpf method with a measuring rail, as used by the CFF, and according to the Olson method with strain gauges on a wheel, as used by the SJ. These comparative tests have shown that good agreement exists between these two measuring methods, when the forces are higher than about 4 tons; but when the forces are smaller the agreement is not so good for reasons which will be explained later in the report.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1960-11
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Diesel locomotives; Dynamics; Electric locomotives; Locomotives; Measuring instruments; Rail (Railroads); Railroad cars; Ride quality; Stability (Mechanics); Strain gages; Stresses; Suspension systems; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Vehicle design; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Identifier Terms: Schweizerische Bundesbahnen; Statens Jarnvagar
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design; Question b10; Rail stress
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053112
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B10/RP 6/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM