CONSTRUCTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR IMPROVING THE RIDING STABILITY AND THE GUIDING QUALITY OF ELECTRIC AND DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES AND VEHICLES. RESULTS OF THE MEASUREMENTS MADE WITH THE LOCOMOTIVES 949 DE 12 OF THE SNCF AND NO. 0621 OF THE WESTPHALIAN PROVINCIAL RAILWAY
The B 13 Specialists Committee met in the course of its studies with the problem as to whether a locomotive without bogies, but equipped with the Beugniot lever system, might be admitted as a standard locomotive suitable for running at speeds up to 80 km p.h. In order that the various aspects of this problem might be clearly understood the Locomotive Testing Department of the DB was requested to compare, by means of tests to be carried out within the sphere of the work being done by the B 10 Specialists Committee and in cooperation with the SER of the SNCF, locomotive No. 0621 of the Westfalische Landeseisenbahn (Westphalian Provincial Railway) and the 040 DE - 12 bogie locomotive of the SNCF. Several measurements were made after blocking two axles of the locomotive equipped with the Beugniot lever system, thus producing a running gear arrangement which possessed the same characteristics as that of a rigid - frame locomotive. This type could therefore be included in the comparison. These comparative measurements have proved, beyond any doubt, the superiority of the Beugniot lever system over the rigid frame arrangement. As to the comparison of the "Beugniot" and "bogie" running gear arrangements, both types may be considered to possess approximately equivalent riding qualities. Consequently, the B 13 Committee was informed, by letter ORE/B 10.22.392 of 1st July 1957, that locomotives equipped with the Beugniot lever system might, without any restriction, be admitted for running at speeds not exceeding 80 km p.h. The H-forces (transverse forces on the axleboxes) were applied as a criterion in order to determine, quantitatively, the running properties of the locomotives under test.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: 58 p.
- TRT Terms: Locomotives; Ride quality; Steering; Suspension systems; Train track dynamics; Vehicle design
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design; Question b10
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053111
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B10/RP 3/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM