Express coaches: An up-hill battle after liberalization?
Express coach services have thrived in Norway following the stepwise liberalization that started in the mid-1990s. However, recent years have witnessed consolidation, stagnation, and, sometimes, decline in the Norwegian express coach market.In this paper, the authors study this process of rapid growth which turned into gradual decline in Norway. Looking at factors contributing to this development, the authors investigate intermodal competition with local public transport, air, car and rail; and the effects of increased public-sector involvement - both as a passenger transport provider and as an infrastructure provider.This paper relies on three data sources and methods: 1) National travel survey data; 2) Historical market data; and 3) Case studies.The authors' main findings are that, following liberalization, express coach services were mainly established in markets underserved by other modes, where express coaches had lower operating costs as well as generalized costs than the available alternatives. These markets have gradually been provided with better alternative transport services: For the long-distance coach lines, competition from low-cost air carriers has been significant. For shorter lines, improved road infrastructure and rail services have increased competition by private cars and rail. Also, initiatives to increase and improve local public transport have impacted the express coach industry.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/07398859
- © 2018 Jørgen Aarhaug et al. Published by Elsevier Ltd. Abstract reprinted with permission of Elsevier.
- Publication Date: 2018-12
- Media Type: Web
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: pp 82-91
- Research in Transportation Economics
- Volume: 72
- Issue Number: 0
- Publisher: Elsevier
- ISSN: 0739-8859
- Serial URL: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/07398859
- TRT Terms: Case studies; Competition; Demand; Deregulation; Express buses; Intermodal transportation; Markets; Public transit; Travel surveys
- Uncontrolled Terms: Liberalization; Long distance travel
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 01679777
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 8 2018 3:05PM