CONSTRUCTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR IMPROVING THE RIDING STABILITY AND THE GUIDING QUALITY OF ELECTRIC AND DIESEL ENGINED LOCOMOTIVES AND VEHICLES. REPORT ON TESTS MADE ON THE LOCOMOTIVE 1141.04 OF THE AUSTRIAN FEDERAL RAILWAYS (OBB)
At the time that the Specialists Committee B 10 started its work and drew up its Work Programe, the Austrial Federal Railways were preparing tests on their locomotive Testing Department of the DB. At the request of ORE the test programme was expanded in such a manner that two parameters, appearing on the test-programme of the committee, could be examined, namely the lateral flexibility of the bogie and the application of a transverse coupling between the bogies. Similar tests were carried out by the Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer francais on the same type of locomotive (SNCF BB 9002), but within a different speed range. Measurements were made of the transverse forces between axles and axle bearing and the relative movements of the constructional parts of the locomotive. It appeared from the tests, that none of the variations of parameters tested was superior with regard to the lateral forces between axle and axle bearing. This result is so surprising that no general conclusions should be drawn without further tests. Tests on a third locomotive of the same type are being planned. In order to examine the influence of the transverse coupling on the wear of wheel flanges, tests are being carried out on six locomotives, three of which are equipped with a transverse coupling, the other three being without one. The results of these measurements will be published as soon as they come to hand.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1957-11
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Car trucks (Railroads); Flanges; Force; Locomotives; Steering; Tests; Vehicle design; Wear; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Osterreichische Bundesbahnen; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design; Locomotive trucks; Question b10; Wheel flange forces
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053110
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B10/RP 1/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM