STRENGTH OF BODIES OF PASSENGER COACHES, IMPROVED CALCULATION METHOD. USE OF A PROGRAMME WRITTEN IN FORTRAN IV (1966). (TEXT AND APPENDICES)
In investigating a calculation method for coach bodies, the ORE B 7 committee has decided on the method of the general theory of redundant frames. Report B 7/RP 4 of October 1962 gives a detailed description of the implementation of this method using the IBM 650 which was the most widely used computer at the time. Report B 7/RP 5 described a programme revised to keep abreast of the rapid progress in computer technology and designed for use on the IBM 7070. The present report goes a step further: (a) the programme has been further revised and improved and (b) its implementation has been further facilitated. The programme, revised on the basis of an improved form of Fortran, now makes it possible to calculate coach bodies with up to twenty door and window openings in each side-wall, while at the same time enabling certain simplifying hypotheses, originally found necessary, to be eliminated. Thus, we can now: take into account concentrated vertical loads; vary, from one field to another, the position of the neutral axes of the upper and lower flanges; take into account the possible asymmetry of the bogie centres. Furthermore, the preparatory work has been considerably facilitated by reducing the documentation to be provided to the calculation centre to a single data-sheet. Thus, using the new programme, almost any type of coach body can be calculated, and it is possible to proceed easily and rapidly with applied research with a view to the greatest possible reduction in the weight of coaches. Finally, it is reasonable to assume that the method as now formulated is sufficiently well developed and generally applicable to be used in its preesent form for several years.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1968-4
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Information processing; Motor vehicle bodies; Passenger cars; Structural analysis; Tests; Vehicle design
- Identifier Terms: FORTRAN (Computer program language)
- Old TRIS Terms: Car body; Car design; Passenger car design; Question b7
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053107
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B 7/RP 6/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 11 1976 12:00AM