CONTINUOUS MEASUREMENT AND CONTROL OF THE SPEED OF WAGONS SHUNTED OVER HUMPS. THE POTENTIAL CAPACITY OF VARIOUS TYPES OF AUTOMATIC HUMPING SYSTEM
The capacities of the following systems are investigated: a) the system of the DB with primary and sorting-siding retarders followed by chains of retarders or rope conveyors (target-speed braking); b) the system of the CFF with primary and sorting-siding retarders followed by chains of retarders and rope conveyors (target-speed braking); c) the system of the SNCF with primary and sorting-siding retarders (target braking); d) the system of BR: Automatic Hump Yard with continuous control of the wagons by means of hydraulic retarder and booster units (BR Dowty). The system of the DB for eight sorting-sidings has been operated in Duisburg-Wedau Marshalling Yard as an experimental installaton since 1967. The CFF and FS are testing different items of the equipmnt for automatic hump yards. The system of the SNCF for eight sorting-sidings has been tested in Vaires Marshalling Yard since 1967. The system of BR has been fully operational in Tinsley Yard since 1965 and in Bescot Yard since 1966. Basic calculation data of the CFF and BR systems differ from the standard data of the investigation in some respects, and the possibility of comparing them with other systems is therefore limited. All the systems considered have a high capacity. The system of BR appears to provide maximum protection of wagon and load. Each system is considered operationally suitable.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1969-4
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Classification yards; Hump yards; Layout; Railroad yards; Retarder control; Speed control
- Identifier Terms: British Rail; Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Schweizerische Bundesbahnen; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Dowty retarders; Question d74; Retarder yards; Yard layout
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00053100
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: D74/RP 4/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM