APL'S LINERTRAIN SOLVES WINTER SLOWDOWN PROBLEMS
American President Lines has launched a winter Linertrain service from Seattle to the New York area, and back to Oakland, with weekly service in both directions. Under the unit-train system, which may be extended to a year-round service, the trans-Pacific carrier has guaranteed to shippers the weekly availability of some 50 flatcars per train capable of carrying 100 40-foot vans on chassis. The Linertrains serve Oakland, Seattle and South Kearny, NJ in triangular configuration. It takes 28 days for an APL Pacesetter ship to make a complete round trip. Service is Seattle, Yokohama, Keelung, Taipei, Kobe, Yokohama, Seattle. Linehaul service (aboard ships destined for Oakland) is provided from Hong Kong to Kobe. Total time from Yokohama to South Kearny is 15 days. Connections also are available as far away as Singapore, 29 days from the New York area.
Communication Channels, Incorporated6151 Powers Ferry Road, N.W.
Atlanta, GA United States 30339-2941
- Johnson, B
- Publication Date: 1980-2
- Pagination: p. 29-30
- TRT Terms: Container on flat car; Container terminals; Containers; Containerships; Intermodal transportation; Minibridge; Rail marine interface; Ship operations; Train operations; Unit trains
- Old TRIS Terms: Intermodal containers; Unitrain operations
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00310196
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1980 12:00AM