PROTECTION OF INSTALLATIONS AND ELECTRIC MOTIVE POWER UNITS AGAINST THE EFFECTS OF OVERVOLTAGES. TESTS ON NON-LINEAR RESISTOR TYPE ARRESTERS (1500 V D.C.) AND ON CAPACITOR TYPE ARRESTERS (1500 V AND 3000 V.D.C.)
The Specialists Committee A 50 has been able to determine with the aid of a Questionnaire that the means chiefly used for the protection of sub-stations, paralleling points and vehicles against the effects of atmospheric discharges are non-linear resistor type arresters and capacitor type arresters. It was therefore decided to conduct comparative tests under service conditions with both types of lightning arrester. Subsequently, it proved advisable to precede these tests by tests in the laboratory with a view to determining the most important characteristics. At the same time, it was decided to conduct some line tests of limited scope with capacitor type arresters for overhead contact systems and the programme of laboratory tests was extended accordingly. The laboratory tests were conducted, in accordance with the comprehensive test programme, in the high-voltage laboratory of the KEMA at Arnhem. The test conditions were, to a large extent, adapted to service conditions. With regard to the non-linear resistor type arresters, the tests revealed that the low level of protection required for the installations in question entailed, in conformity with Interim Report No. 3, a high follow current. The high follow current thus required special measures in order to extinguish the arc, e.g. magnetic blow-out. Concerning the capacitors, the laboratory tests have shown that the dielectric stability against harmonics is the critical point of many constructions. Although the capacitors reduce the overvoltage, it remains desirable, in the case of outdoor installations, to use adequately dimensioned feed-through insulators.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1965-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Capacitors; Catenaries (Railroads); Electric insulating materials; Electric power supply; Overvoltage; Railroad electrification; Tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Surge protection
- Old TRIS Terms: Arresters; Electrical insulation; Lightning arrestors; Question a50
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053086
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: A50/RP 6/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM