PROTECTION OF INSTALLATIONS AND ELECTRIC MOTIVE POWER UNITS AGAINST OVERVOLTAGE. ENQUIRY ON THE PROTECTION OF ALTERNATING CURRENT INSTALLATIONS AND MOTIVE POWER UNITS AGAINST OVERVOLTAGE
This report examines the means of protecting against overvoltage adopted by the Railway Administrations which use the a.c. system, and contains a statistical analysis of the damages caused by overvoltage. The information provided has been taken from the replies given by 11 Railway Administrations to a questionnaire sent out by the A 50 Specialists Committee. The Specialists Committee recommends that the study of the problem of protection against overvoltage of the catenary, of substations and track-sectioning cabins and also of high-voltage transmission lines should not be pursued in view of the fact that the stage of progress reached in this field and the very small number of cases of damage do not justify such a study. The Committee also recommends that the study of the problem of the protection of motive power units using the a.c. system should not be pursued insofar as such a study covers the traditional type of electrical structural components. The Committee does, however, considered it necessary that a special study of the general use of semi-conductor elements should be carried out under the auspices of ORE, and that at the same time it should be possible to study the problem of protection against overvoltage. (N.B. The Control Committee has not retained this proposal in view of the fact that other international organizations have inscribed this question on their programme).
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1964-10
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric insulating materials; Electric power supply; Electric substations; Overvoltage; Railroad electrification; Rectifiers; Tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Surge protection
- Old TRIS Terms: Electrical insulation; Question a50
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053085
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: A50/RP 5/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM