TRANSMISSION OF INFORMATION BETWEEN RAIL AND MOTIVE POWER UNITS. EVALUATION OF THE TENDERS RECEIVED FROM INDUSTRY
Interim Report No. 2 reports on the call for tenders issued in order to obtain a survey of the information transmission systems now available. The offered systems can be divided into 3 groups: those for transmitting continuously between given points, with the rail functioning as conductor; those for transmitting continuously between given points, and those for transmitting information at selected points. In order to arrive at an objective comparison of the systems forming part of the above groups, basic problems concerning transmission reliability and coding were studied and evaluation methods developed. This should lead to an evaluation method awarding merit marks to the various systems. A mutual comparison of the groups would meet with difficulties because the systems are fundamentally different. Also the possibilities offered by these systems to railway operation may be of divergent nature. The conclusions contained in this report are restricted to a comparison of the proposed transmission systems. During future studies the operating programme should be taken into account before taking a definite choice.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1963-10
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic train control; Control systems; Signaling; Specifications; Tests; Transmissions
- Old TRIS Terms: Question a46
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053081
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: A46/RP 2/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM