SECTION INSULATORS FOR OVERHEAD EQUIPMENTS
The object of the present report is to examine the behaviour of various section insulators originating from different Administrations so as to obtain the necessary data for the development of new prototypes or the improvement of existing types. The two main aspects of this examination are: a) the dynamic behaviour at high speeds both as regards the permissible weight and the construction of guiding elements for the contact strip and of the suspension from the carrying cable; b) the electrical behaviour, determined on the one hand by the dielectric properties of the materials used and on the other hand, by the behaviour under arcs caused by the passing of the pantograph through a "dead" section (i.e. without current) or through a neutral or earthed section. The tests, the results of which are given in detail, and which have been illustrated by drawings and photographs, were carried out by the DB and by the SNCB.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1960-6
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Catenaries (Railroads); Insulating materials; Measuring instruments; Synthetics; Tests
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Dead sections; Insulators; Question a1b
- Subject Areas: Materials; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053077
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: A1b/RP 3/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM