CARRIAGE AND RAILCAR HEATING. PROVISIONAL TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION FOR THE SUPPLY OF RUBBER ARTICULATION JOINTS FOR STEAM-HEATING HALF COUPLINGS
Following the meetings held at ROME in January 1961, the Sub-Commission "Specifications and Standardisation" considered that the draft-specification for washers and articulation joints for steam heating half-couplings, presented by the B 30 Committee in its Interim Report No. 6, should only be retained for the washers. This draft-specification was consequently submitted to the 5th Commission of the UIC in the form of UIC Leaflets comprising a technical specification of a provisional nature. This led to the publication, on 1st January 1962, of UIC Leaflet 841-3 R. Concerning the articulation joints, the B 30 Committee was asked to prepare a document defining, in a more precise manner, the qualities required of these components. This work has just been completed and the document, established in the same form of layout as Leaflet 841-3 R, defines better the test conditions expecially applicable to articulation joints, namely: hardness tests, tensile tests, adherence tests and checking of the consistency of the shape. This new specification takes into account data taken from the studies of the B 30 Committee and from different acceptance tests on articulation joints, carried out in the laboratory. The application of the envisaged prescriptions should result in an improved performance in service and by an increase of effective life. Consequently, a reduction in the number of failures in service and a decrease in maintenance costs might be expected.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1964-6
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceptance tests; Air conditioning systems; Heating; Heating systems; Heating, cooling and ventilation equipment; Passenger cars; Service life; Steam
- Uncontrolled Terms: Steam heating
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b30
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053061
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B30/RP 17/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM