CARRIAGE AND RAILCAR HEATING. OIL BURNER TRAIN HEATING SYSTEMS
ORE Committee B 30 is studying the possiblities of heating railway carriages and has in consequence examined oil-fired heating systems. A survey on the oil burner heating systems used on rail vehicles of the West European Railways shows that for diesel rail buses and similar vehicles, for battery railcars, trailers and driving trailers, use is made of oil burner water and air heating devices of simple design with an output of 6500 - 18,000 kcal/h. On larger vehicles oil burner heating systems with pressure-fed oil atomisers in combination with hot water boilers or air heaters of 35,000 - 60,000 kcal/h output are used. In diesel railcars, the warm coolant water of the engines is largely used for heating purposes; this also provides the possibility of keeping the coolant water of the engine warm by means of the vehicle heating plant and of pre-heating it to the starting temperature of the diesel engine. On Administrations where a large percentage of the system is electrified there is a tendency to replace steam heating boilers on diesel locomotives and heating vans by electric heating generators so that, in future, passenger coaches may by heated exclusively by electricity and steam heating systems might be dispensed with. A special chapter has been devoted to oil burner individual coach heating systems for general purpose passenger coaches running in locomotive hauled trains. Also studied were the frequency failure rates of oil burner heating systems, safety regulations for in tunnel passing by rail vehicles discharging exhaust gases produced by oil-fired heating plants, and annual expenditure of the oil burner heating systems.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1964-10
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Air conditioning systems; Exhaust gases; Heating systems; Heating, cooling and ventilation equipment; Passenger cars; Tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b30
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053060
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B30/RP 16/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM