CARRIAGE AND RAILCAR HEATING. TESTS CARRIED OUT IN THE VIENNA ARSENAL TESTING STATION DURING 1962
The present report is a summary of the results of tests carried out in the Vienna Testing Station in 1962 on 21 railway coaches belonging to various Administrations. Vehicles of the following types were tested: Open central- gangway saloon and compartment coaches, couchette coaches, diesel railcars or driving trailer coaches, and also air-conditioned coaches of luxury trains. Although the heating systems differed, it was tried to carry out the same tests on all vehicles. The tests covered first the determination of the pre-heating and pre-cooling periods and that of the energy required for these processes at various outside temperatures. Subsequently, the quality of the regulation of the heating or air-conditioning equipment was tested and the energy consumption of the heating or air- conditioning equipments ascertained at various outside temperatures and speeds; comfort tests were also carried out. The latter chiefly covered the temperature distribution and the air circulation velocities in the compartments. Furthermore, cooling tests were made and also tests for ascertaining the resistance of the equipment to overheating and freezing. A series of k value tests were made with the vehicles at different operating conditions and at various wind velocities. These tests were supplemented by air leakage measurements, using radioactive isotopes. Finally, special tests, such as noise measurements, were made to meet specific requests of various Adminstrations. The most important results obtained from these series of tests are summarised by means of graphs. For the purpose of comparison, the respective extreme values of the test results of 1961 have been added. The tables and graphs are followed by a summary of the different series of tests and, in this connexion, the results of the different tests are reviewed.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1963-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 137 p.
- TRT Terms: Air conditioning systems; Cooling; Heating, cooling and ventilation equipment; Passenger cars; Preheating; Tests
- Identifier Terms: Arsenal (Vienna, Austria)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Overheating; Precooling
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b30
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053059
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: A30/RP 15/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM