CARRIAGE AND RAILCAR HEATING. REPORT ON THE TESTS CARRIED OUT IN THE VIENNA ARSENAL TESTING STATION DURING 1961
This report sums up the results of the tests carried out in the Vienna Testing Station during 1961 on 9 railway coaches belonging to various Administrations. Vehicles of the following types were tested: open central-gangway saloon coach, compartment coach, couchette coach, diesel railcar and air-conditioned TEE trailer coach. Although the heating systems differed from each other the tests carried out were in many ways similar for all vehicles. These tests were firstly concerned with the determination of the time required and the corresponding energy consumption for preheating from various outside temperatures. Subsequently, the quality of the heat regulation was tested, the energy consumption necessary for heating at various speeds determined and comfort tests carried out which chiefly covered temperature distribution in the compartments and air circulation velocities. In addition were carried out: cooling tests and tests appertaining to the resistance of the equipment to freezing and overheating; k-value tests supplemented by tests for measuring air leakage by means of radio-active isotopes introduced into a vehicle and Geiger-Muller counters; special tests to meet specific requests of various Administrations. The most important results obtained in these series of tests are summarised and graphically illustrated. It is regretted that it has not so far been possible to present in this first report an analysis and a comparison of the results of the different tests. It is, however, intended to supplement accordingly the annual report for 1962.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1962-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 71 p.
- TRT Terms: Air conditioning systems; Energy consumption; Freezing; Heating, cooling and ventilation equipment; Passenger cars; Passenger comfort; Tests
- Identifier Terms: Arsenal (Vienna, Austria)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Overheating
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b30
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053057
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B30/RP 13 /E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM