CARRIAGE AND RAILCAR HEATING. ENERGY CONSUMPTION FOR HEATING SYSTEMS WITH AND WITHOUT THERMOSTATIC REGULATION
This report is, in effect, a summary of reports made to ORE by the DB and by the SNCB on some tests carried out for ORE by those two Administrations, using carriages of the SNCB to determine the economy in the consumption of electrical energy for train heating when automatic (thermostatic) control is substituted for hand operated control of the heating. In addition the report includes the results of similar tests made by the DB, on its own account, with its own carriages, and described in its own report. The tests covered 460 heating days in all and were spread over most of two heating seasons and took place in conditions representative of average weather conditions in Central and Western Europe. The average economy was found to be 22.5%. The value of this saving in money depends on so many factors, varying from one Administration to another, that no generally applicable value can be stated, but the data given will permit any Administration to make an estimate to suit its own circumstances. This saving can be set against the additional cost of fitting automatic control to new carriages, which usually so fitted for reasons of increased passenger comfort, or against the cost of converting existing carriage stock, which cost may vary greatly for different Administrations.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1961-7
- Features: Appendices; Tables;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Air conditioning systems; Costs; Electric heating; Energy consumption; Heating, cooling and ventilation equipment; Passenger cars
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Societe Nationale des Chemins de Fer Belges
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b30; Thermostatic control
- Subject Areas: Energy; Finance; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053055
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B30/RP 10/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM