CARRIAGE AND RAILCAR HEATING. REPORT ON THE TESTS DETERMINING THE CURRENT CARRYING CAPACITY OF COUPLING COMPONENTS AND MAIN THROUGH WIRING FOR ELECTRIC TRAIN HEATING, CARRIED OUT DURING THE YEAR 1959
The B 30 Specialists Committee had been entrusted with the task of determining, by means of tests, the current carrying capacity of the main through wiring and couplings for electrical train heating and of making proposals as to the means by which this capacity might be increased. The need for this investigation arises from the fact that the carrying capacity of existing wiring and couplings is, in some cases, appreciably lower when the electric supply is alternating at 50 cps than when it is at 16-2/3 cps or is direct current. In addition there in an increasing tendency for some vehicles to have an installed heating capacity greater than 35 kW, even at 1000 volts supply voltage and some Administrations are already operating trains of more than 15 vehicles and others are proposing to do so. The tests were carried out during 1959 by the Testing Station of the DB Electrotechnical Department in Munich, using well established techniques approved by the B 30 Specialists Committee. The tests showed that in general all present types of wiring and couplings could carry 600 Amps. at 16-2/3 cps or with D.C., but that this was reduced in some cases to rather over (in one instance under) 400 Amps. at 50 cps due to some part or other becoming too hot. It was also found that by making various parts of non-magnetic, instead of magnetic, material and by using cables with heat resisting insulation the current carrying capacity could be increased to 700 Amps.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1960-11
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Air conditioning systems; Electric heating; Heating, cooling and ventilation equipment; Passenger cars; Tests
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b30
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053050
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B30/RP 5/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM