TESTS ON AUTOMATIC COUPLERS. TESTS WITH THE GLK 2 MIXED AIR COUPLINGS
This report contains the results of tests with mixed air couplings of type GLK 2 which included: the assessment of the mixed air coupling regarding type and design, coupling and uncoupling tests in the straight and on curves, impact tests, trials in train formation, trials on the hump, and assessment from the standpoint of shunting. Mixed air couplings of type GLK 2 were tested using the following combinations of couplings: screw coupling + GLK 2 coupled with screw coupling + current type of coupling head, screw coupling + GLK 2 coupled with screw coupling + GLK 2, mixed mechanical coupling + GLK 2 coupled with the UIC automatic coupler, and SA 3 coupler + GLK 2 coupled with the UIC automatic coupler. The mixed mechanical couplings of the: German Federal Railway (DB type), and Societe General Isothermos (Unitendeur UT 70 type)were used for the tests. The results of the tests led to the conclusion that the device tested is suitable to solve the problem of mixed air couplings between a vehicle equipped with the screw coupling and one equipped with the automatic coupler for a limited transition period. Since the device can be inserted in the automatic coupler from one side only, it is recommended that, for operating reasons, it be used only temporarily.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 54 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Riding qualities; Securing and joining equipment; Stability (Mechanics); Tests; Train track dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic couplers; Automatic coupling; Mixed coupling; Question b51; Riding stability; Screw coupling
- Subject Areas: Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053047
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B51/RP 16/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 3 1976 12:00AM