TEST TO BE CARRIED OUT ON BEHALF OF THE COMMISSION "AUTOMATIC COUPLINGS." WORK OF THE ORE COMMITTEE B 51 UP TO THE 31ST JULY 1962
On May 1st 1960, a call for tenders was addressed to a hundred or so European and non-European firms; Fourteen firms replied to this call for tenders: Four capable of direct coupling with the SA 3-coupler which is used by the USSR Railways, and ten not capable of direct coupling with the SA 3-coupling with the SA 3-coupler. Following a decision of the Board of Managent of the UIC in September 1961, those coupler proposals not capable of coupling with the SA 3-coupler were held in abeyance. In the period elapsing since its creation (1958) until July 31st 1962, the Specialist Committee drew up the standard program of tests for the automatic couplers: Part A on test benches, Part B on special test tracks. The following preliminary studies and test were carried out: determination of the influence of the play in the running gear and suspension gear of wagons, with a view to determine the numerical coefficient of reduction to be introduced into the calculations for determining the laterial adjustment values of the test-benches; determination of the optimum length of coupler-shank; determination of the influence of the characteristics of the buffer springs on the functioning of the coupler at small impact speeds. The study of those questions relating to mixed coupling was given priority, since the possibility of the "progressive bringing into operation" of the automatic coupler depended upon the finding of a suitable solution to this problem. Concerning certain of these studies, some provisional results had already been obtained. The tests were being continued. The above-mentioned preliminary tests were able to be made thanks to the stock equipped by the SNCF, the DB, the CFF and the OBB on the occasion of a presentation of some of the proposed couplers to the Members of the General Assembly of the UIC in Paris in December 1961.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1963-2
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Design; Motor vehicles; Ride quality; Stability (Mechanics); Train track dynamics
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Osterreichische Bundesbahnen; Schweizerische Bundesbahnen; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic couplers; Automatic coupling; Center buffer couplers; Question b51
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053038
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B51/RP 1/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM