STANDARDISATION OF DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES. REGULATIONS FOR THE TESTS ON PROTOTYPES OF LOCOMOTIVES WITH INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF ORE
In the Regulations for the Homologation of Diesel locomotives, the tests which a locomotive must undergo, under the supervision of ORE, before it can be admitted as a standard type in one of the ORE classes, are defined. The purpose of these tests is to verify, inter alia, that: the locomotive conforms to the general characteristics of the standard locomotives and to the special characteristics imposed for the class concerned; the behavior of the locomotive in normal service has been sufficiently tested to enable ORE to recommend the use of considerable series of this locomotive. Following assent of these tests, the locomotive is homologated for one of the classes. The Regulations contained in Report B13/RP 5 do not apply therefore to those prototypes of locomotives of which one or more were built in order to test newly developed arrangements calling upon the use of new techniques and which locomotives do not necessarily belong to an ORE-class. Consequently, it is not intended to build large series of these locomotives in the near future. However, when such a prototype of a locomotive is subjected to tests or used in service on the system of a Member- Administration, it may be interesting for ORE to collect, on behalf of other Member-Administrations, the most accurate data on the possibilities afforded by this locomotive. The conditions under which ORE can follow the tests on a prototype and the extent of these tests, form the subject of the present Regulations.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1961-10
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Diesel engines; Internal combustion engines; Locomotives; Measuring instruments; Prototypes; Regulations; Specifications; Standardization; Test procedures; Tests; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design; Question b13
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Law; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053021
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B13/RP 7/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM