ELASTIC SYSTEMS FOR TRACTION AND SHOCK GEAR (SIDE BUFFERS AND CENTRE BUFFERS). COMPARISON TESTS OF ELASTIC SYSTEMS FOR THE AUTOMATIC COUPLER
The report gives an account of all tests made with representatives of the five families of elastic systems: "Friction wedge, not lubricated", "Friction ring, lubricated", "Rubber springs", "Hydrodynamic compression" & "Hydrostatic compression of elastomers". Static, dynamic, fatigue and train formation tests were carried out, the last, above all, to find an answer to the question whether in trains of irregular composition the level of longitudinal forces can be restricted to 500 kN. Based on the interpretation of the train formation test results it may be concluded that the choice of an optimum elastic system alone would not make it possible to maintain the 500 kN value. Taking into account all test results, it is possible to accept, subject to confirmation by tests yet to be made, the representatives of the families "Friction ring, lubricated", "Hydrodynamic compression" and "Hydrostatic compression of elastomers" into service.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1975-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 52 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Dynamic tests; Elastomers; Fatigue tests; Occupant protection devices; Shock absorbers; Static tests; Tests; Vehicle components
- Uncontrolled Terms: Impact protection; Performance analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic couplers; Buffers; Center buffers; Question b36; Shock absorption; Side buffers; Train formation tests
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053016
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B36/RP 14/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1976 12:00AM