ELASTIC SYSTEMS FOR TRACTION AND SHOCK GEAR (SIDE BUFFERS AND CENTRE BUFFERS). LOADING OF BUFFERS IN SERVICE
With a view to gaining more accurate information on the total loading to which elastic systems are subjected by compressive stresses in railway operations, tests were made on the system of the DB with ten two-axled wagons of each of the five wagon categories E, F, G, L and U. Five wagons of each category were running on normal commercial service, the other five of each category (three loaded and two empty) having been run according to a timetable. The wagons were equipped with mileage meters (in km) and 590 kN buffers with four counters, each recording when a given stroke was exceeded. Results of these tests permitted the following to be inferred: The frequency of low-energy absorbing strokes up to 4400 Joules, related to two side buffers, is such that an elastic system with a minimum service life of 12 years should withstand this energy as fatigue energy. The frequency of high-energy absorbing strokes up to a maximum of 60,000 Joules, related to two-axled wagons, is low and does not exceed the figure of 60 loadings within 12 years, assuming a mileage of about 25,000 km per annum. The loadings to which the various categories of wagons are exposed are almost the same, and also the influence of the wagon mass is slight.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1970-4
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Elastomers; Loads; Occupant protection devices; Shock absorbers; Tests; Vehicle components
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn
- Uncontrolled Terms: Impact protection; Loading; Performance analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Buffers; Question b36; Shock absorption; Side buffers
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053015
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B36/RP 8/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1976 12:00AM