STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS FOR SLOW SPEED DIESEL MERCHANT SHIP CONSTRUCTION
These Standard Specifications are intended to provide guidance to the Maritime Industry for the preparation of detail slow speed diesel ship specifications. They are complete in all aspects of required contract work, and embody the following pertinent features: Establish minimum and maximum levels of quality as a bench mark for Construction Differential Subsidy. Readily identify current requirements of various regulatory bodies. Include standard test to reflect the legal aspects of contract work such as: MarAd policies for subsidy, contract changes, extent of compliance with regulatory body requirements, and clauses regarding errors, omissions, and conflicts. Reflect latest technological developments that include pertinent Research Development investigations and Value Engineering recommendations by MarAd and other agencies. Indicate measures of standardization that may be included in the specifications of diverse ship designs to encourage mass production techniques for processes and systems. Introduce the use of the SI (Systeme International d'Unites) metric system to the United States shipbuilding industry. These guidance specifications are not intended to restrict design features, construction, materials, equipment, systems, etc., to those that are specifically delineated herein. Substitutions consistent with regulatory body requirements and basic standards of quality will be considered for eligibility for Construction Differential Subsidy.
- It was unnecessary to duplicate many of the hull sections in the Maritime Administration Standard Specifications for Merchant Ship Construction dated January 1979 for inclusion in the Slow Speed Diesel Specifications. Therefore, the Hull Sections appearing in the Table of Contents marked with an asterisk (*) have not been duplicated within this specification. For a complete ship specification, it will be necessary to refer to the Maritime Administration Standard Specifications for Merchant Construction dated January 1979.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Diesel engines; Electric power plants; Quality control; Shipbuilding; Specifications; Speed; Standards
- Old TRIS Terms: Ship construction quality control; Ship construction specifications; Slow speed diesels; Standards (Diesel power plants)
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00316624
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1980 12:00AM