BUFFERS WITH A LARGE WORK ABSORPTION CAPACITY. TESTS ON IMPROVED "OLEO-PNEUMATICS" BUFFERS
In the period between July and November 1961, the Rolling Stock Research Department of the SNCF had undertaken, upon the request of the NS, tests in order to determine the static and dynamic behavior and also the behavior under alternating forces of the improved OLEO-PNEUMATICS buffers. These buffers had been developed following the tests at Romont in 1959 and 1960 (see Interim Report No. 3), so as to obtain also for the hydraulic buffers a static behavior meeting the prescriptions contained in UIC-leaflet 526, Section 2, while preserving the primordial characteristics of the hydraulic buffers consisting in the variation of the work absorbed as a function of the weight of the vehicle and the impact speed. The tests conducted in accordance with the programme and the test method indicated in Interim Report No. 1 and also the supplementary tests have shown that the characteristics of the improved Oleo- Pneumatics buffers largely correspond to the conditions required in UIC-leaflet No. 526, Section 2, and that their resistance on the tup and to the alternating quasi-static forces has been satisfactory. The Specialists Committee has been of the opinion that it is of importance that the behavior of buffers of this type in a train of at least 150 axles should be verified before any general application of these buffers.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1963-2
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamic tests; Occupant protection devices; Pneumatic equipment; Static tests; Tests; Vehicle components
- Identifier Terms: Nederlandse Spoorwegen
- Uncontrolled Terms: Impact protection; Performance analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Buffers; Hydraulic buffers; Question b36
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053011
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B36/RP 4/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM