BUFFERS WITH A LARGE WORK ABSORPTION CAPACITY. COMPARATIVE TESTS ON BUFFERS
The purpose of the present report is: to give an account of the study of the behavior of buffers in the trains when running and during brake applications; to fix the desirable characteristics and the criteria for the choice of a modern buffer; to propose, in conclusion, a draft of a UIC-leaflet concerning buffers with a large work absorption capacity for wagons. The first part of this report contains a description of the results of the track tests on normal goods trains composed of normal CFF wagons. These trains had 100, 120 and 150 axles being empty and others loaded to one quarter, one half, three quarters or to capacity. The second part of this report consists of a study aiming at laying down the desirable characteristics and the criteria to be adopted for the choice of a modern buffer. This study successively deals with the following efficacity criteria of a buffer: (a) during an impact, (b) during the running and braking of the trains. The third part of this report consists of a draft of a leaflet concerning buffers with a large work absorption capacity for wagons.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1962-7
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Occupant protection devices; Pneumatic equipment; Tests; Vehicle components
- Uncontrolled Terms: Impact protection; Performance analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Buffers; Hydraulic buffers; Question b36
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053009
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B36/RP 3/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM