ANALYSIS OF SIDE LOOKING AIRBORNE RADAR PERFORMANCE IN THE DETECTION OF SEARCH AND RESCUE TARGETS
Since September 1978 side-looking airborne radar (SLAR) detection data has been gathered in conjunction with visual detection experiments conducted by the U.S.C.G. R&D Center. These are the first in a series of experiments designed to improve search planning guidance contained in the National Search and Rescue Manual. HC-130 aircraft, equipped with either the Airborne Oil Surveillance System (AOSS) or SLAR/radar image processor (SLAR/RIP) configuration of the AN/APS-94D SLAR, conducted controlled searches for life rafts, small boats, and 41- to 95-foot Coast Guard vessels in Block Island Sound or open ocean. Through the use of a microwave ranging system and SLAR data, the positions of searchers and targets were accurately reconstructed to facilitate the verification of detections on SLAR films or video tape. These data were used to evaluate the effects of environmental and controllable parameters on SLAR detection of the various target types. While the size of the data base did not permit conclusive, quantitative assessment of the effect which each parameter had on SLAR detection performance, general trends in system performance were identified. Of the 11 parameters which were investigated, preliminary indications are that wind speed, image background, sea state, precipitation, altitude, antenna polarization, target size/compostion, and lateral range all may significantly influence SLAR detection of search and rescue targets. Further data collection and analysis is planned to quantify the affects of these and any other significant parameters on SLAR performance.
- This report is the Third in a series which documents the Probability of Detection Task of the SAR project at the USCG R&D Center.
United States Coast GuardResearch and Development Center, 1082 Shennecossett Road
Groton, CT USA 06340-6096
Analysis and Technology, IncorporatedP.O. Box 220
North Stonington, CT USA 06259
- Edwards Jr, N C
- Mazour, T J
- HOVER, G L
- Osmer, S R
- Publication Date: 1980-3
- Features: References;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Detectors; Environmental impacts; Life rafts; Radar; Radar images; Search and rescue operations; Side looking radar; Surveillance
- Old TRIS Terms: Detection systems; Radar range; Search techniques
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00316224
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CG-D-31-80 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-81-79-2038
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM