BUFFERS WITH A LARGE WORK ABSORPTION CAPACITY. RESULTS OF COMPARATIVE TESTS ON BUFFERS OF VARIOUS DESIGNS, CARRIED OUT IN 1957-1958 AND 1959, AT THE SNCF TESTING STATION AT VITRY-SUR-SEINE (TEXT AND ENCLOSURES)
The present report gives the result of comparative tests which have been carried out, at the testing station at Vitry-sur-Seine, between the various types of buffers used up till now by the Railway Administrations and those of new design which have been developed during the last few years, by several manufacturers, with the aim of achieving an increased protection of wagons and goods, against the impacts which occur in stations, during shunting operations and also en route, on starting and as a result of braking. Such a study comprises two aspects: determination of the behaviour of buffers, on impact, in the shunting yards; determination of the behaviour of buffers, in rafts, at starting and braking. The tests at Vitry deal chiefly with the first of these two aspects; the second will be considered in the General Report, in course of preparation, the comprehensive conclusions of which will deal with the desirable characteristics and the criteria for choosing a buffer.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1960-2
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 71 p.
- TRT Terms: Durability tests; Dynamic tests; Occupant protection devices; Static tests; Test procedures; Tests; Vehicle components
- Identifier Terms: Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Uncontrolled Terms: Impact protection; Performance analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Buffers; Question b36
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053007
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B36/RP 1/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM