OIL POLLUTON RESPONSE PLANNING GUIDE FOR EXTREME WEATHER
This Guide is intended to provide the On-Scene Coordinator (OSC) with information and guidance useful in developing action plans and contingency plans for conducting oil pollution response operations in open water. The Guide considers two general categories of response operations at sea: 1. Prevention of (further) spillage from tanker and other vessel casualties. 2. Oil Spill mitigation and cleanup. The following types of information are presented in the guide: 1. Outlines for Action Plans. 2. Planning guidance. 3. Requirements for initial casualty assessment. 4. Roles of ship's Master, Salvor, other key personnel. 5. Description of response system and equipment options. 6. Data needs for use in selecting appropriate response approach. 7. Selection criteria for deciding between alternative response approaches. 8. Checklists for various types of the response operations. 9. Sources for additional information. Background is provided on state-of-the-art (SOA) techniques and systems that can be employed in pollution response situations. This document also provides a decision-making guide in certain cases for selecting the preferred approach in view of the sea state, casualty parameters, and other environmental conditions. The examples given and the criteria stated may be combinations of parameters that may be encountered in actual operations. Therefore, the action of the OSC must be based on the actual conditions that exist, or that are expected to exist within the time frame of the response operation.
United States Coast Guard2100 Second Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20593
- Publication Date: 1980-3-12
- Features: References;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Containing equipment; Dispersers; Information services; Intermodal transfer; Loss and damage; Oil booms; Oil spill cleanup; Oil spills; Petroleum
- Uncontrolled Terms: Damage assessment
- Old TRIS Terms: Emergency contingency plans; High seas oil recovery; Oil skimmers; Oil spill containment; Oil spill contingency plans; Oil spill dispersants; Oil spill information centers; Oil transfer operations
- Subject Areas: Environment; Freight Transportation; Geotechnology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00312185
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: COMDTINST M16466.2
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 26 1980 12:00AM