ELECTRO-PNEUMATIC BRAKE. BASIC TESTS ON THE TEST-BENCH. TEXT AND APPENDICES
The first series of tests organised by the DB were carried out on the large test-bench of the Knorr firm at Munich this bench making it possible to simulate different train formations up to 100 vehicles, each equipped with a 12" brake cylinder. These tests have dealt in particular with the two main types of electro-pneumatic brake, namely: electro-pneumatic brake of the automatic type, with 2 brake-pipes electro-pneumatic brake of the direct acting type, with 1 single brake-pipe of 1 1/4" diameter, chosen whilst taking into account the experience already acquired by the Administrations. Thus: for the electro-pneumatic brake of the automatic type with 2 brake-pipes, the tests were carried out in comparison with the pneumatic brake with 1" and 1 1/4" brake-pipe and with the pneumatic brake with 2 brake-pipes, one of which is the feed pipe; for the electro-pneumatic brake of the direct acting type with 1 brake pipe, the diameter of 1 1/4" was chosen having regard to the tests already carried out by the SNCF and the USSR Railways. These types of brakes have been especially examined from the point of view of: exhaustibility, automatic operation, and behaviour in the case of failure of the electro-pneumatic control. The present interim report gives an account of the results obtained during these two series of basic tests on the test-bench. Of course, it will only be possible to draw definitive conclusions after having carried out the envisaged tests on the track.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1964-10
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Air brakes; Brakes; Test procedures; Vehicle tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Electropneumatic brakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Brake tests; Braking systems; Question b83
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053003
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B83/RP 1/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM