HULL GIRDER RESPONSE TO EXTREME BENDING MOMENTS
The inherent deficiencies of traditional section modulus calculations once buckling of elements of the hull girder occurs under extreme loading are discussed. A technique for more accurately determining the effects of individual plate buckling on the integrity of the hull girder is presented, together with the supportive computer program (FLEXSM). Applications of FLEXSM to specific problems are described.
- From the 1980 SNAME Spring Meeting and STAR Symposium, "Safety and the Marine Environment," held 3-7 June 1980 at the Hotel del Coronado, Coronado, California.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Billingsley, D W
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Bending moments; Buckling; Computer programs; Dynamic loads; Failure; Hulls; Stresses
- Old TRIS Terms: Computer programs (Hull response); Hull bending moments; Hull failure; Hull girder stresses; Hull response
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00311117
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Session No. 4 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM