SURVEY STUDY FOR GREAT LAKES AND ST. LAWRENCE SEAWAY NAVIGATION SEASON EXTENSION
This report, prepared under Section 107(a) of the River and Harbor Act of 1970, has the following purposes: (1) To present plans that have been developed for extending the season. (2) To summarize the problems and needs and alternative solutions associated with season extension. (3) To present information and conclusions that lead to a recommendation as to the feasibility of a Federally supported permanent navigation season extension program. The scope of the study includes investigating the feasibility of means of extending the navigation season on the System into the winter months, beyond the usual eight and one-half month season, to as much as year-round, and to determine the desirability and extent of Federal participation. The system is comparised of five Great Lakes, their connecting channels and harbors, and the St. Lawrence River. More specifically, the scope of this study involves U.S. harbors, shoreline, the five Great Lakes and connecting channels, and the International Section of the St. Lawrence River. To the extent possible, the study includes known Canadian plans for winter navigation projects or programs that would affect U.S. proposals. The study area is shown on Figure 1. Cost effectiveness data, engineering practicability, and environmental and social data of an extended navigation season, gathered under the Demonstration Program, authorized under Section 107(b) of the R&H Act of 1970, are included.
Army Engineer DistrictDetroit District, Box 1027
Detoit, MI USA 48231
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Economic analysis; Economics; Environment; Feasibility analysis; Ice navigation; Inland waterways; Navigation; Water pollution
- Geographic Terms: Canada; Great Lakes; Saint Lawrence Seaway
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Gt. lakes); Inland waterways economics
- Subject Areas: Economics; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00310915
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Draft Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM