NOISE ABATEMENT ON DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES. THE DIESEL ENGINE AS A SOURCE OF NOISE. NOISE RADIATING ZONES OF A DIESEL ENGINE BEFORE AND AFTER ITS FUNDAMENTAL OVERHAUL
In the present report an attempt is made, first of all, on the basis of the fundamental technical data of a diesel engine, to give a calculable evaluation of the noise level to be expected. The report is concerned moreover with some acoustic component questions, which were investigated at the testing station, on a diesel traction engine of the DB (Maybach MD 650/1B No: 112407, constructed in 1960, 12 cylinder, super-charged, 1500 r.p.m., 1200 HP/880 kW): Dependence of the intake- and exhaust noise, on the r.p.m. of the engine and on the engine output; Dependence of the engine noise level and engine noise spectrum, on the r.p.m. of the engine and on the engine output; Dependence of the noise level and noise spectrum recorded in the vicinity of the engine, on the r.p.m. of the engine and on the engine output; Dependence of the body conduction sounds measured at various positions on the engine surface, on the r.p.m. of the engine and on the engine output; Research into the positions or parts of the engine with the greatest noise level; Dependence of the development of engine noise on the length of service; and discussion of the possibilities of noise reduction by drawing on measuring results of other authors.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1968-4
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Diesel engines; Diesel locomotives; Measuring instruments; Noise; Noise control; Noise sources; Tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Diesel engine noise; Question b104
- Subject Areas: Environment; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052998
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B104/RP 2/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1976 12:00AM