THE IMPORTANCE OF TRAINING IN CONNECTION WITH ARPA
A monograph concerning the need for stepped-up Automatic Radar Plotting Aids (ARPA) training. With a quantity of collisions attributed to human error rather than machinery limitation or failure, it follows that the way to cut collision incidence is to improve training and watch-keeping standards. As a requirement for watch-keeping officers' certification on ships of over 200 GRT, the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification, and Watch-keeping, stipulated that knowledge of radar fundamentals, operational ability and interpretation must be demonstrated by use of a maneuvering board if a radar simulator is not available. Attendance at a simulator radar course is not deemed necessary. This requirement has been mostly limited to the use of maneuvering board as there are few radar simulators available and it is expected the situation will have to remain the same for the next few years.
- One of 28 technical papers published in the Proceedings of the Third Annual CAORF Symposium, Maritime Simulation Research, held October 15-16, 1979, King's Point, N.Y. See MRIS Abstract No. 310209.
National Maritime Research Center, Kings PointUnited States Merchant Marine Academy
Kings Point, NY United States 11024
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Cockcroft, N
- Publication Date: 1979-10-15
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Casualties; Crashes; Maneuvering; Radar; Ship simulators; Simulation; Statistics; Training; Training devices; Training simulators; Watchkeeping; Water transportation crashes
- Identifier Terms: International Maritime Consultative organization
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic radar plotting; Casualty data; Collision statistics; Imco training standards; Radar simulators
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Education and Training; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00310219
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper No. 13 Conf Paper
- Contract Numbers: MA-5-38003
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 22 1980 12:00AM