TANKERS FOR THE 1980'S: DEMAND, SUPPLY AND INVESTMENT POTENTIAL
A unique feature of this report is that tanker demand has been forecast separately for each size of tanker on the basis of the known pattern of ship employment in the Base Year (rather than the more usual approach of forecasting total tanker demand and then attempting to sub-divide this demand between various sizes of ship). After establishing a data base and detailing the methodology used in making the demand and supply projections, the study quantifies likely demand and supply for four sizes of tanker (10-60,000 DWT, 60-100,000DWT 100-175,000 DWT and 175,000 DWT +) for each year up to 1990. These base projections have then been modified by the application of a range of assumptions regarding key variables, such as the efficiency with which tankers are operated and the level of tanker scrappage, to develop several demand and supply cases. The surplus/deficit of tanker supply in each case and for each forecast year is indicated with special reference to the cases most likely to occur, and the implications of the analysis for anyone owning or wishing to acquire tanker tonnage are discussed. The concluding section of the report highlights those sectors of the future tanker fleet where a large shortage of available tonnage is likely to generate particularly attractive investment opportunities.
Drewry (HP) (Shipping Consultants) LimitedResearch Division, 24 Brook Street
London W1Y 2LL, England
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Capital investments; Combination carriers; Demand; Economic forecasting; Fleet management; Market assessment; Oil tankers; Petroleum industry; Pollution control; Regulation; Ship operations; Shipping; Ships by size; Tankers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Petroleum trade
- Old TRIS Terms: Fleet requirements; Shipping forecasts; Shipping trends; Tanker demand; Tanker operations; Tanker pollution regulation
- Subject Areas: Economics; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00309422
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Survey, No. 21
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1980 12:00AM