VESSEL TRAFFIC SERVICES PROCESSING/DISPLAY SUBSYSTEM SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS AND DESIGN
This report defines the detailed operational requirements for the Vessel Traffic System (VTS) Processing/Display Subsystem and provides the current state of the software design. Both parts (i.e., requirements and design) of this report begin with an overview and an introduction to the methodology used. The balance of both parts is a detailed, technically oriented, function by function description of the specification on the one hand and the design on the other. Specifications are included for operator invoked functions which are used to enter and retrieve information, and to request subsystem services; as well as specifications for automatic processes which update vessel location, course and speed, and detect and report on potentially hazardous conditions. At the highest level of the design, the software for the VTS Processing/Display subsystem has been decomposed into processes which operate concurrently and cooperate to perform the required functions. These processes will communicate and synchronize their activities by the exchange of explicit messages and answers. This approach provides flexibility in assigning processes to processors, which is a critical factor in providing a system that can manage a broad range of functional and load handling requirements.
- Contract under the technical supervision of the Coast Guard R&D Center, Groton, Connecticut (R&DC 24/79).
International Computing CompanyBethesda, MD United States
United States Coast Guard2100 Second Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20593
- HENSON, C C
- Graham, R S
- McIntosh, B A
- Publication Date: 1979-9
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Control systems; Data logging; Data management; Databases; Highway traffic control; Information display systems; Information processing; Information storage and retrieval systems; Vessel traffic control
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00309420
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CG-D-73-79 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-81-78-1833
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 31 1980 12:00AM