RISK ASSESSMENT OF AIR VERSUS OTHER TRANSPORTATION MODES FOR EXPLOSIVES AND FLAMMABLE CRYOGENIC LIQUIDS
This report describes a method for assessing the comparative risks of transporting hazardous materials by alternative routes and modes. The method is then applied to the transport of Class A explosives and liquid hydrogen between specific origin-destinations, testing the air-highway modal combination with alternative combinations of highway, rail, and marine modes. The risks were found to be highly route-dependent; however, for those routes selected, the air-highway modal combination showed generally lower risks. Rerouting and improvement in terminal operations showed the greatest opportunity for risk reduction.
- See also Volume II: Supporting Documentation (DOT/RSPA/MTB-79/14).
ORI, Incorporated1400 Spring Street
Silver Spring, MD USA 20910
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Kloeber, G
- CORNELL, M
- McNamara, T
- Moscati, A
- Publication Date: 1979-12
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Casualties; Competition; Crash data; Crash risk forecasting; Crashes; Cryogenic materials; Cryogenics; Explosives; Flammable liquids; Hazard evaluation; Hazardous materials; Liquid cargo handling; Liquid hydrogen; Loss and damage; Materials management; Mathematical models; Origin and destination; Property; Risk analysis; Risk assessment; Routing; Statistics; Transportation; Transportation modes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Property damage
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytical techniques; Casualty data; Cryogenic materials handling; Flammable liquids transportation; Hazardous materials transportation
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00309399
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/RSPA/MTB-79/13 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-RC-82036
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 31 1980 12:00AM