IMPROVEMENT OF THE RIDING STABILITY OF EXISTING RIV WAGONS REQUIRED TO RUN UNDER ANY LOADING CONDITIONS AT SPEEDS OF 80 KM/H. SUPPLEMENTARY TESTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
Reports B 56/RP 1 and RP 2 contained the results of technical investigations with a view to defining a general criterion for assessing the riding quality of old-type two-axled wagons, and the results of line tests on these wagons before and after modifications aimed at making them suitable for running at 80 km/hr under all loading conditions. These reports showed that no satisfactory means of modifying the wagons had been found. The present report however, recommends fairly simple and economic modifications which could swiftly be made and so meet the requirements of UIC-Leaflet 439.0. It surveys briefly the results already given in the previous reports, describes the supplementary tests carried out by the SNCF and the JZ and gives the results. It gives some indications concerning theoretical and technical investigations which will be covered in detail in the final report now in preparation, and on some of which the present report is based. In the last chapter, the results obtained are collated, and recommendations are formulated which might be useful to the railway administrations in assessing the riding quality of their two-axled wagons and in making the necessary inexpensive modifications to those wagons found unsuitable. The B 56 Committee has thus completed its task. At the beginning of 1969, however, a final report will be issued giving detailed results of the practical and theoretical investigations and presenting an particular a mathematical study undertaken by the Yugoslav Railways. Using this mathematical process the results were similar to those obtained from the track tests, and it might be advantageous to use it in certain instances in order to ascertain which particular wagon component should be modified, and in what way, before undertaking long and costly track tests.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1968-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Derailments; Freight cars; Motor vehicles; Prevention; Ride quality; Safety; Stability (Mechanics); Test procedures; Tests; Train track dynamics; Two axle cars; Vehicle design; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais; Yugoslav Railways
- Uncontrolled Terms: Wheel profiles
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car design; Question b56
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052992
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B56/RP 3/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 3 1976 12:00AM