IMPROVEMENT OF THE RIDING STABILITY OF EXISTING RIV WAGONS REQUIRED TO RUN UNDER ANY LOADING CONDITIONS AT SPEEDS OF 80 KM/H. PART 1:STUDY OF THE EFFECT OF VARIOUS SIMPLE MODIFICATIONS ON THE STABILITY OF OLD-TYPE TWO-AXLED WAGONS (FIRST WORK - PROGRESS REPORT). PART 2: ATTEMPT TO DEFINE A GENERAL CRITERION FOR RIDING QUALITY
The first part of this report is an account of the investigations made by the Specialists Committee with a view to ascertaining what inexpensive modifications might be made to old-type two-axled wagons in order to make them suitable for running at 80 km/hour under all loading conditions. At the request of the Control Committee the investigations were restricted to a small number of wagons so as to keep down the costs, viz. two SNCB wagons and two SNCF wagons which were considered sufficiently representative by the Specialists Committee. The modifications made to them, and described in this report, did not result in an adequate improvement in riding quality. Nevertheless, it seemed advisable to inform the administrations of the results obtained. Among the appendices to this interim report are three reports of tests carried out by the DB at their own expense on three types of DB wagons. Tests in progress at present and recent theoretical studies which will be described in a subsequent report have given encouraging results. The second part of this report specifies the data which the B 56 Committee wishes to collect for the purpose of defining a single criterion for assessing riding quality.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1967-3
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Derailments; Motor vehicles; Prevention; Ride quality; Safety; Stability (Mechanics); Train track dynamics; Two axle cars
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn; Societe Nationale des Chemins de Fer Belges; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b56
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00052991
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B56/RP 2/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 3 1976 12:00AM