WINTER-RESISTANT MOTIVE POWER UNITS. INFILTRATION OF SNOW THROUGH THE AIR FILTERS OF MOTIVE POWER UNITS AND OTHER WINTER PROBLEMS
Among the winter problems requiring a solution at the time of the setting up of the B 100 Specialists Committee, that of the infiltration of snow into motive power units headed the list. The present report describes the tests carried out on several types of air filters to determine the characteristics of these under winter conditions. During tests carried out at the Vienna Arsenal Testing Station, notable differences were observed between the different types of filter tested. The report gives an account of the tests and comments upon the results obtained. In the second part of the report, the performance of starter batteries at low temperatures is examined. The purpose of this investigation was to determine to what extent low battery temperatures impaired the starting process of a diesel engine. Although the tests intended for simulating the starting process at very low temperatures (-20 degrees C) could not so far be carried out, the test results obtained at battery temperatures down to -10 degrees C would seem to indicate that, at lower temperatures, difficulties due to the batteries themselves could arise. The third part of the report contains a survey of the routine measures taken by the various Administrations in winter concerning diesel motive power units. Finally, some recommendations are given, based on the results obtained.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1968-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Air filters; Cold weather; Diesel locomotives; Electric batteries; Locomotives; Low temperature; Operations; Snow; Storage batteries; Tests
- Identifier Terms: Arsenal (Vienna, Austria)
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b100
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052984
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B100/RP 1/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1976 12:00AM