THE U.S. COAST GUARD RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
The Coast Guard's areas of responsibility have been significantly broadened over the last decade especially in the areas of maritime law enforcement, marine pollution control and vessel traffic management and navigation services. In addition, trends in the economic and marine environments reflect an increasingly austere federal budget climate with concurrent increases in commercial shipping and recreational boating. These opposing trends further exacerbate the demands on Coast Guard missions. Many of these expanded activities are technology-intensive and cannot be satisfactorily carried out through incremental improvements to existing capabilities. Rather, totally new procedures and systems concepts must be explored. In this environment, the strengthening of technological efforts within the Coast Guard takes on added importance. Accordingly, the role of research and development within the service is being re-evaluated and strengthened to provide the necessary forward-looking technological posture. This paper discusses the proper strategy and emphasis for the Coast Guard's R&D Program toward this end. It presents an overview of the purpose of the R&D program, highlights selected past accomplishments and current activities and outlines intentions as to future plans and directions--essentially, "what Coast Guard R&D is doing, where it is going, and why".
- Paper presented 20 February 1980 to SNAME.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Manning, A P
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Conservation; Navigational aids; Pollution control; Search and rescue operations; Vessel traffic control
- Uncontrolled Terms: Resource management
- Old TRIS Terms: Maritime research
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Environment; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00316710
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM