MARINE DIESEL FUELS-QUALITY AND TRENDS
After giving some general information and statistical estimates on the world's fuel supply and demand, together with some estimates of future demands for marine fuels, the paper discusses quality trends in marine Diesel fuels and the characteristics of crudes from various sources. The compatibility of residual fuels when "cut back" with distillates, and laboratory tests for this compatibility, are also discussed. It is mentioned that, since compatibility tests were introduced some years ago, fuel incompatibility problems have been virtually eliminated at Mobil refineries. Problems are still, however, occasionally encountered at bunkering terminals and on board ship. Brief information is given on fuel contaminants, and some service experiences, from which it is concluded that centrifuging is the most satisfactory means for the shipboard treatment of present and future marine Diesel fuels, are described. Information is included on requirements for correct centrifuging and for fuel preheating. The risk that insufficient preheating may lead to scuffing problems and failure of cylinder liners, pistons, and rings, and the possible association between scuffing and the combination of low-sulphur fuel with high-alkaline cylinder oil, are discussed. Brief information is included on some Mobil Research activities. Order from BSRA as No. 53,438.
- From the Marine Diesel Engine Technology Symposium, 1978.
Mobil Oil Company Limited150 East 42nd Street
New York, NY United States 10017
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Contaminants; Diesel fuels; Fuel composition; Fuel consumption; Fuels; Petroleum; Residual fuels; Statistics; Supply
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fuel availability; Fuel quality
- Old TRIS Terms: Fuel contamination; Petroleum statistics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Energy; Geotechnology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00316693
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1980 12:00AM