CROSSHEAD DIESEL CYLINDER LUBRICATION
The Author discusses the requirements that a cylinder lubricating oil for marine crosshead Diesel engines should meet, and describes the performance both of Mobilgard 580, an oil developed for the most advanced crosshead engines, and of Mobilgard 570. Accelerated testing for the evaluation of premium cylinder oils under shipboard conditions, carried out by instrumenting two cylinders of a high-output crosshead engine in the Mobil Engineer, is also described together with some long-term shipboard testing, and some results are included for both these oils. The paper is arranged under the main headings:--1. Engine Lubrication Requirements. 2. Engine Cleanliness (Pistons; Valve Deposits; Port Deposits; Liner Cleanliness). 3. Wear Protection (Oil Film; Corrosive Wear; Abrasive Wear; Seizure Wear; Additive Stability; Low Sulphur Fuel and Scuffing). 4. New Generation Mobilgard 580 (Low Volatility; Thermal and Oxidative Stability; Acid Neutralising Ability; Port Deposits; Load-Carrying Properties). 5. Accelerated Testing in Instrumented Diesel Aboard Ship (Instrumented Cylinders; Scuffing Monitoring; Liner Wear; Piston Ring Wear; Iron Wear from Scrape-Down Oil Analysis). 6. Long-Term Shipboard Testing (Engine Cleanliness; Wear Protection; Proof-of-Performance Testing). Order from BSRA as No. 53,437.
- From the Marine Diesel Engine Technology Symposium, 1978.
Mobil Oil Company Limited150 East 42nd Street
New York, NY USA 10017
- Coant, P M
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Chemical analysis; Diesel engines; Durability tests; Engine cylinders; Engines; Lubricating oils; Lubrication; Monitoring; Thermal stability; Wear
- Old TRIS Terms: Diesel lubrication; Diesel monitoring; Lube oil analysis
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00316636
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM