UNLOADING OF SELF-DISCHARGING WAGONS IN WINTER CONDITIONS. ENQUIRY REPORT
The freezing together of certain bulk goods causes considerable operating difficulties in many countries during transportation in winter. If no special measures are taken, the unloading of freight which is frozen together involves considerable expense and a good deal of labor has to be expended on it. A number of methods have been known for some years for transporting, thawing out and unloading bulk goods exposed to frost. These have been developed and tested both on the part of the client and by the railways. A few methods, which are effective and economical in respect of facilitating the unloading process, involve the fact that considerable damage to the wagons has to be taken into account. Consequently, in working out a rational method there must be good co-operation between the railways and their customers. The present report gives a review of the known methods for preventing the freezing together of the freight during transportation on the one hand and, on the other, methods for thawing out and freeing the frozen freight, together with a description of the known equipment and installations used. The object of this report is to give a greater possibility of choosing the best methods appropriate to a particular climatic condition by means of a very comprehensive description of the methods and the experiences of the administrations and the customers. For this reason, the report also contains a description of methods which have either given little satisfaction or are suitable only for very special purposes.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1969-4
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 70 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo handling; Coal; Coal industry; Cold weather; Freezing; Freight handling; Freight traffic; Grain elevators; Grain terminals; Loading and unloading; Loss and damage; Moisture content; Open top cars; Operations; Snow; Thaw
- Uncontrolled Terms: Grain handling
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulk handling; Freight operations; Question b109; Unloading processes
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052967
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B109/RP 1/E Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1976 12:00AM