THE CONTROLS AND INSTRUMENTATION OF A SLOW SPEED DIESEL PROPULSION PLANT
This paper introduces the ship to the reader and proceeds with a description of the machinery plant. The control room and the console arrangement are then discussed, together with a brief approach to some of the aspects concerning zero-man-watch control. In the chapter about controls, only those control functions and system philosophies not regularly seen aboard US flag vessels and which are imperative to the proper operation of a slow speed diesel propulsion unit are then described in this paper in further detail.
- Paper presented 25 April 1980 to the Philadelphia Section, SNAME.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Dirriwachter, J W
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: 71 p.
- TRT Terms: Automation; Bridges (Ships); Consoles; Control; Cooling systems; Data logging; Diesel engines; Electric power plants; Engine rooms; Engines; Monitoring; Propulsion; Tankers; Vehicle power plants
- Old TRIS Terms: Bridge consoles; Control systems automation; Data logging systems; Diesel control systems; Diesel cooling; Diesel monitoring; Engine monitoring; Engine room automation; Power plant control; Propulsion machinery controls; Ship descriptions (Product tankers); Slow speed diesels; Unmanned engine rooms
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00316621
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1980 12:00AM