FULL SCALE MEASUREMENTS AND STATISTICAL ANALYSES OF SHIP MOTIONS IN A NAVIGATIONAL CHANNEL
Due to the trend of large dry and liquid bulk carrier construction in recent years, safe navigation in ports and channels has been a great concern to both the governmental regulatory agencies and the maritime industries. This paper presents the results of a study on motions of deep draft vessels in a navigation channel. The objective of this study was through measurements and analysis of the vessel motions to validate the design assumptions for a specific channel as well as to establish the general design information on channel width and depth requirements, with respect to the ship characteristics and channel environments. Full-scale measurements of motion characteristics for twenty-nine vessel transits through the Columbia River Entrance Channel have been conducted. The measurements include pitch, heave and roll motions, vessel heading angles and position tracks. Analyses of the measured data have been conducted with the objective to derive both the short term and long term statistics. For short term correlations, all the motion variations have been assumed stationary, and comparisons of the histograms of motion amplitudes with the theoretical Rayleigh distribution have been conducted and found satisfactory. As to the long term statistics, it is found that the measured data can be very well represented by the log-normal distributions.
- Paper presented April 1980 to the Los Angeles Metropolitan Section, SNAME.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Wang, S
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 66 p.
- TRT Terms: Channels (Waterways); Electromagnetic spectrum; Maneuvering; Measuring instruments; Ship motion; Statistical analysis; Structural design; Vehicle characteristics
- Old TRIS Terms: Channel design; Narrow channel navigation; Restricted water operation; Ship characteristics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00316608
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1980 12:00AM