FILTRATION OF THE COMBUSTION AIR AND THE COOLING AIR OF MOTIVE POWER UNITS. TESTS ON FILTERS IN THE LABORATORY
This report deals with the operating tests on air filters carried out on behalf of the B 67 Specialist Committee. Their purpose was to ascertain whether, according to the quantity of dust retained, the filters used in service showed similar pressure deops to the filters tested in laboratory with the type of dust defined in report No. 1 and using the concentrations selected for the tests described in report No. 2. Results show severe scatter of of the points measured, but with a few exceptions, the points measured were within the range of pressure-drop surves ascertained in the laboratory tests. The number of measurements was too small for any general quantitative validity to be given to them. Despite the limited number of tests made, it can be assumed that, qualitatively, the results of the laboratory tests are transferable to the practical field concerning the pressure drop measured. The analysis of the results obtained shows that the efficiency and pressure drop of the filters varies to a lesser or greater degree on the quantity of dust presented to the filter and that, in some cases, the values obtained with a concentration of 10 mg/cm3 differ from those corresponding to 100 mg/cm3. The conclusion of the report is that the filter tests on the test rig permit the characteristics of the different filters to be compared with each other under given experimental conditions.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1968-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Air filters; Cooling systems; Diesel engines; Electric locomotives; Equipment tests; Tests; Ventilation systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b67; Test equipment
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052960
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B67/RP 2/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM