FILTRATION OF COMBUSTION AND COOLING AIR ON LOCOMOTIVES. RESEARCH MADE IN 1964 ON THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SORTS OF DUST TO BE FILTERED ON MOTIVE POWER UNITS (DETERMINATION OF ONE OR MORE TYPES OF DUST)
After the presentation in June 1963 to the Control Committee of ORE of a Report of Enquiry concerning the filtration of air on rolling stock, the Specialist Committee B 67 was set up in order to compile a technical specification for the supply of air filters and for this purpose it also established the indicated Programme of Work. During its studies made in 1962, the SNCF had already obtained provisional results (under special and local conditions) concerning the dust floating in the air sucked-in. At the proposal of the Specialist Committee B 67, the SNCF continued its research from 1964 in order to determine the properties of the dust suitable to serve as a basis for the tests on air filters in the laboratory. The present report indicates the conditions under which the research was made in 1964; it also contains a description of the sampling methods and the analyses applied, the procedures adopted and the instruments used. It gives an account of the difficulties encountered, the results obtained and it explains the differences between those obtained in 1962 and 1964. The method for drawing samples could be improved. It can, however, already now be stated that under the conditions under which the tests in the track were made on the system of the SNCF the dust content of the air take-in is very small and the majority of the dust particles have dimensions smaller than 10 microns. On the strength of the results obtained, a typical sort of dust has been chosen for the tests in the laboratory.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1966-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Air filters; Cooling systems; Diesel engines; Dust; Electric locomotives; Standards; Tests; Ventilation systems
- Identifier Terms: Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b67
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Data and Information Technology; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052959
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B67/RP 1/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM